WONTHAGGI HUMAN POWERED GRAND PRIX
The 23rd edition of the Wonthaggi Human Powered Grand Prix will take place on Friday 20th to Sunday 22nd of March 2020.
In 2020, Vehicle Specifications and Trial Regulations will be based on those of the 2019 Energy Breakthrough, with Tim White of Bendigo as the Lead Scrutineer.
Since 1997, the Wonthaggi Human Powered Grand Prix has challenged teams with its iconic 1.4km circuit, unpredictable weather conditions and a test of team work.
Teams of primary school students compete for 16 hours, whilst secondary school and Community teams compete for 24 hours in human powered vehicles that students, teachers, parents and local industry have worked together to design and construct.
The event is about putting STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) into a fun, hands-on learning environment that rewards collaboration, grit and determination.
The event can act as a great ‘momentum builder’ for school teams eager to engage and inspire new students joining their Human Powered Vehicle (HPV) programs. It also offers the opportunity to test and learn from the previous year’s Energy Breakthrough trials and tribulations, too.
Each team receives points for Scrutineering and Design and Construction, which is combined with the number of laps they complete during the Grand Prix to reward an overall class winner. All vehicles are assessed for safety by a team of experienced scrutineers prior to taking to the track.
- Entries will be $440 (inc GST) per team.
- Entries will open on Monday 4th November 2019.
- Primary School teams will compete for 16 hours. (Curfew 10pm – 6am)
- Secondary and Community teams will compete for 24 hours.
- The event organisers reserve the right not to run the event if we receive less than 75 entries.
- For vehicle specifications and the 2020 Teams Handbook, be sure to visit our Key Documents page.